So in my quest to be more money/budget thoughtful I came across this tutorial on making your own laundry detergent. The price of detergent seems to keep going up, while the size goes down. I was willing to try another option. So I followed this tute over at the Being Creative blog.
I gathered my supplies; I found all the ingredients in the laundry asile of walmart.
(1) 4 lb box Borax (2.15 kg or 76 oz)
(1) 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1.81 kg)
(1) box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz (3 lb 7 oz)
3 bars of Fels-Naptha soap (you can also use Zote soap)
3.5 lbs of Oxy Clean or store brand Oxy Clean
I also got a 5 gallon bucket for mixing and storing and a grater that would only be used for soap.
All the supplies, including the bucket and grater cost me just over $14.00
1. Start by grating your bar soap. Doesn’t it look like cheese!
2. Put the powdered ingredients in a 5 gallon bucket lined with a garbage bag. I found that layering the ingredients over and over made for easier mixing than dumping it in one box at a time. It also makes your house smell nice clean while you are mixing.I made sure the lid was tight on the bucket and rolled it around on the floor a couple times. Mixed everything up great.
You will use 1 – 2 tablespoons per load. It might not seem like a lot but it works. I’ve run several loads since I made this and everything has come out fresh and clean.
Also this works with cold water. For HE washers add directly to the barrel.
From the research I did, this recipe will last 9-12 months. Depends on how many loads you do per week – the blog I got it from did 8 loads of laundry a week and it lasted her 9 months. What a money saver! My skin is also fairly sensitive and I’ve not had any problems with this detergent.
*as always use at your own risk*